Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Great Photographer: Dan Winters



I stumbled across Dan Winters through David Hobby's blog (a blog more than worthy to follow). I watched this video and one other and decided to go check his stuff out. I viewed his work online and then decided to see if he had any books out. Sure enough I found a book of his work titled "Periodical Photographs." I have since then fallen in love with his creations. As you can see in the video he shoots a lot of big names. However, his work is much different than the run of the mill celeb portraits. These are "hollywood portraits" that are very much deserving of thoughtful consideration and respect. He has done a great job at creating beautiful works which are incredibly deep. I can flip through portraits (even great ones) all day long but as I was flipping through this book I would get sucked into an image and not be able to pull my eyes off the page. It wasn't just one or two photographs that did this to me, it was just about every one in the book with a few exceptions. His pictures aren't 'glam' or 'sex appeal' shots, they are human and sincere. By human, I mean that they don't seem like shiny plastic toys (as they do in most of the magazine shots) but like real people. By sincere, I mean that it seems that you can seemingly catch a glimpse of what this person might actually be like (like them or not). I don't know that I would have been able to say that I had a favorite photographer up to this point but I'm really close to saying Mr. Winters might be it.
Anyhow, enough of my rambling. Go check Dan Winters our yourself and let me know what you think.

No comments: